ASNE Institute June 6 (part I)
Monday
I wake up at 6:00 to hit a run. I glance at the map we were given earlier and plan my route. I find a street that runs north past the J-School building and connects to another road that leads back to campus. Looks like about 5 miles or so, and decide to try it. After I hit the J-School, I head up the street and its hill.
My eyes were bigger than my stomach.
Euclid Avenue is a fine street, but has a steep vertical ascent over the next 2 miles. It rolls just enough to keep me running, though, and I keep heading up. It's scenic, but I have to stop and walk a few times. I get to the summit, though, and see the Bay and Golden Gate Bridges illuminated against the San Francisco sunrise. I hit the summit and head down the hill, which hurts just as bad as running up it. Fortunately, I run past the botanical gardens, Cal's stadium, through campus, and back to the hotel. I really enjoy the run, but figure I'll regret it by the next day.
Breakfast is at 8:00, but I don't return to the hotel until 7:45. Though I hurry, I have no need. Most of the group arrives later than I do anyway. Breakfast is nothing formal: bagels and pastries with freshly squeezed pulp-filled juice. I sit down and make small talk as we prepare for our first speaker of the day.
Robert Rosenthal, the managing editor of the San Francisco Chronicle, shares his background as a career journalist and editor. He worked for the New York Times and among his first assignments was to be on the team covering the Pentagon Papers. He was the photocopier. I listen as my muscles stiffen after a morning of running and then hours of inactivity. Morning drowsiness skulks in. I'm unaccustomed to sitting for long periods of time, since teaching keeps me on my feet for most of the day. Sitting so long feels wrong.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home